It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 First trained dog - question 
MMT Addict

Post First trained dog - question
I've been looking to get my first retriever, and to have it trained. It's main focus will to be a loyal and well taken care of family dog. If it hunts/retrieves, then that is just an awesome bonus.

I found a dog I was interested in. I then called a highly recommended local trainer. It just so happens this trainer has 2 puppies available. These labs come from a good blood line, with parents and grandparents who have achieved several hunter type statuses. I don't recall that exact information.

They are both yellow labs, but one is more of white in color. Both are male. I'm more interested in the yellow. Although, I really wanted a black one.

Question I have - and I haven't asked the man yet. I'm going to meet him and the dogs this evening. Is it possible to change a dogs name at 5 months? One is Weed and one is Snowball. Both I find to be quite terrible. Sorry if you guys have a dog named either of those.

I feel weird saying this....but if its too late to retrain his name, or if that would ruin the dog - I might lose interest right off the bat.

He's asking 900 for the dog, which seems to be a great price since he has been worked with for over a month now. He still recommends another 3-4 months of training at $550 a month.

This dog will be my close buddy. I've always bonded real close to my dogs. I just don't want to be attached to Weed or Snowball and pay 2500+ for something I'm not a fan of.

Opinions?

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:30 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: First trained dog - question
If you're looking for a dog from a good blood line, black will be the most common color and typically be near the less expensive side all other things being equal.

My advice: Don't rush it. Get a black at 6-8 weeks old whose parents you can observe and approve of, name it what you want, and send it to a trainer.

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Look on RTF forum under lab puppies and find you one. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ab-Puppies

Mostly all the litters on there are quality litters, with proven parents. And the dam and sires have been medically checked for any genetic problems that occur in the lab breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:47 am
MMT Member

First, changing the dogs name at 5 months is not a problem. I've done it with success, with ease.

$550/month is a decent price if he is a good trainer. Most want 3-4 months and it takes that long to get a dog to understand the bsics, as well as consistently performing the basics. I would recommend making sure you know exactly what you will be getting after the 3-4 months training so your expectations are realistic, and no surprises. Obedience alone will take 4-6 weeks, and then still need to be reinforced at times. If you are not going to carry through on your end reinforcing the training, don't waste your money. The dog will learn, and know, and get by with what he/she can.

Don't rush, buy what you want the first time. Color, etc...

You might consider buying a started dog for about that price, $2500. That way you can see what you are getting, not what you hope to get.

If you don't plan to hunt, get a pet, spend a month or two with Obedience training and forget the rest. Unless you practice and continue to train, those skills may be useless. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]