It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Gunshy 
MMT Member

Post Gunshy
Well my dog is 1.5 yr old white lab been a damn good dog love to retrieve and had zero problems with guns until the first of the year she seen fireworks now she was terrified. . I took her out hunting the other day was fine until we started shooting she jumped out of the boat blind and was hiding in the grass I pulled her back in the boat she continued to cower and run while we shot I ended up chasing her down walking across the marsh to the truck how can I fix this

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Gunshy
I had a dog that did this also. I thought that's the end of hunting that dog. Well I just gave up for that year of hunting. I worked with him the following spring and summer, late summer I started shooting while retrieving and he started coming around. By hunting season he was still a little shy but would retrieve with some coaching. Now he looks at you like, well did you hit it and can I go get it. I think it was that he was young and was overwhelmed with all the boom. But he grew out of it. Don't discipline him if he covers up when shooting, tie a leash on him and pet encourage him while the shooting is going on then after the shots send him for the retrieve. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 am
MMT Pro Member

Fireworks have ruined alot of dogs. Start over with conditioning your dog to noise and gunfire (starter pistol at a distance, shotgun a little closer while the dog is making a retrieve, etc.) I WOULD NOT continue to shoot over the dog until the problem is fixed. Forcing the dog to sit there while you shoot is not the way I would try to cure the problem, it may make it worse. Give the dog a little time off and do some yard work with fun drills you know the dog enjoys. Slowly incorporate sounds at a distance and read your dog. It takes time.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am
MMT Member

Thanks I'll give it a shot I plan on starting just walking with her on a leash while I'm holding a pellet gun not shooting just till she gets comfortable again with just looking at a gun then I'll move to the 22 with a blank and so on but I was just wondering if I was thinking correctly

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 am
MMT 1000 Club

From day one , started shooting a cap gun away from my pup as she was eating , gradually getting closer over weeks and months, till you could shoot right over their head as she was eating.

My daughter then would shoot while I was retriever training in yard. Worked for me. . Never gun shy.

H Finn

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:39 am
MMT Addict

You may be able to break of being gun shy but it takes a lot of patience and lots of pratice

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Start with something that your dog likes and is really excited about. If its retrieving, throw the mark & have someone well away from the dog shoot a small gun. I would throw several bumpers to get the dog worked up first. 1 shot maybe a 2nd after a few more retrieves. After doing this for a few days have the shooter move closer. Watch your dog at every shot. You will know when to shoot a bigger gun and then when to move closer.
Good rule of thumb, if you think it's time to move forward then wait another day or 2. Good luck.

Don't be scared...Hit It and Hold It!!!

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:51 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I would start the whole re-introduction to gunfire as others have said--right at the moment she's excited about something else. Put her food down and have someone fire a blank pistol very far away (like 70 yards) the moment the food gets to the ground (if she loves eating). Do that for a week, then get 10 yards closer, do that for a week. etc. Don't move closer if she seems nervous--instead get further away

When she's retrieving (if she's crazy about retrieving), throw a dummy and when it's at it's peak, have someone 20-30 yards behind you shoot a blank pistol. Again, gradually get closer.

Finally, dummy launchers are a great help. They combine the noise and the excitement of the retrieve.

Skip actual gunfire for a long time

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Real bacon bits worked really well for my aunts dog. Fireworks and thunder with lightening is what triggered it originally. Not gun-shy anymore. It's about using the smell of the bits and focus on your hand as a distraction, though. Not about getting a reward. Don't give a bit just because. Make her earn it with obedience. It takes the focus away from the sound. Dont have to use this until shes comfy with shotgun 3 feet away. Just to prove sharp cracks and small booms arent something to pay attention to. Once the shot doesn't cause a jump, startle, etc, then move back to training with the shots getting closer as behavior permits like these guys are saying.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 pm
MMT Member

Thanks fellas

Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]