It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Gun Dog Training "next step" 
MMT Pro Member

Post Gun Dog Training "next step"
I have a 8wo golden retriever that's shaping up to be real good hunting dog.
She is very smart and energetic. She loves to retrieve in the water already.
She doesn't even notice my supermagnum .
What's the next step? If she doesn't make a good gun dog it will be my fault.
I cant afford professional training. I'm looking at Gun Dog Training DVDs on ebay.
If I can save money training her myself I can spend more on training material, devices and paraphernalia. Gun Dog Supply looks to be a good source
What is the best DIY training DVD. What Dog Training Accessories should I get?
Should I get a dummy launcher or Ecollar?
Thanks For your input. It will make a difference.
ZZ

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Gun Dog Training "next step"
E collar. Dokken dead fowl birds. Regular bumpers. Launcher is unnecessary. Unless you can't throw ~100 feet. When you get farther than that you'll be actually placing the decoys for blind retrieves and sending the dog on a mark.
As far as media goes. Good start for a puppy is "Duck dog basics"
It's simple. get a mud motor. shoot ducks in the face.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I've trained my recent pup with Freddy kings vids on YouTube. She's turning out very good!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:09 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Evan Grahams smartwork, I haven't used it but I hear a lot of people like it.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Gun Dog Training

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:10 am
MMT Pro Member

Thanks to all for the advice. It will help alot.
ZZ

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

I love Mike Lardy's DVDs. They are very well filmed and easy to follow. I feel it does a good job of an order of steps to follow and dont go to next step until previous one is done. Also shows decent amount of what to do to correct and explain issues that might occur in each phase.

Also try to go to some HR club meetings in your area. Can get alot of good advice for cheap, and meet alot of good people.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:22 am
MMT Pro Member

Lardy and Graham are excellent. The other good one that hasn't been mentioned is Rick Stawski's Fowl Dogs DVD series. You can't go wrong with any of those three.
I agree that you will either need a launcher or someone to throw marks for you. If you teach using hand thrown marks then your dog will never learn to go farther than you can throw. I can wade out in the decoys to pick up short marks. I want my dogs to get the ones that sail 100 - 200 yards, or farther.
Dokkens are expensive and unnecessary. Regular bumpers work fine and other than dead birds will be all you need.
A local HRC or AKC retriever club is an excellent suggestion.

Buck

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

I'm just gonna throw this out there. The only way I've been able to get a dog to retrieve geese is with the dokken dead goose and an actual dead goose. May not be an issue for you if you don't shoot geese. Most dogs I've seen don't wanna retrieve geese cuz they're heavy and have to be force broke to do it. Mine included. But once we got past that part he does it happy as hell now.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:59 pm
MMT Elite Member

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Everyone thinks their way is better. Keep that in mind. Keep an open mind and try a few different methods. You'll find your dog has a personality that reacts to different methods better. If I used one persons training program I don't think I would have ever finished my dog. Teaching different things took different shit and different methods. Everyone has their way and everyone thinks their way is the right way. Try a few different things and find your own way. A good dog isn't a cookie cutter recipe. They're just like people and they learn different ways

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I grew up spending time around a trainer. His method always worked. Different dogs react different, and require some tweaks, but if a method works, it's not the dog that's gonna be at fault if it doesn't work on yours. Ever wonder why all good trainers prefer to work with the owner before sending the dog home and encourage visits during the training? It's because the dog doesn't have as much issue picking up on cues as humans.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That's smart words

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:04 am
MMT Pro Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am
MMT Elite Member

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Agreed. I think I wasn't clear with the tweaks I spoke of. I'm not talking about combining things from different plans that work within the confines of that method. I'm talking about little things that you do wrong and don't realize it unless you read your dog well and review your actions. And listening to an expert that has trained many is an excellent idea.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 pm
MMT Elite Member

The best pros (and amateurs for that matter) will stick to a tried and true program, whether it's theirs or one that they learned. They may figure out a different way to introduce a concept, but they are always trying for the same end result

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 am
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah. Let's say a dog won't respond to a certain thing you're trying to teach him from a given program. You gotta change your tactic and use a different method or you're just wasting time with something your dog isn't understanding. When you do that you're taking pieces from "other programs" as you've repeatedly said. The only thing that stays the same is the way of reinforcement in a program. Professional dog trainers run Into the same thing. If they were set in teaching things one way they'd have to turn dogs away. If I paid good money and watched a dog trainer try to teach my dog the same thing repeatedly for 4 hours off and on for different days, the same way, I'd take my money back and find a more competent trainer who isn't afraid to try different things. You can't force a dog to submit to something he doesn't understand. It doesn't work. Especially if they're a soft dog.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:57 am
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Ah, but we're not talking about pros or experienced trainers in this thread. We are talking about someone new to retriever training. No question one needs to be flexible in training dogs, but a new person has no experiences to draw on. I still say, for a newby, to stick with the program then if something isn't working get help.

Buck

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:49 am
MMT 1000 Club

I can agree with that and pass you a beer. 8-)

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:59 am
MMT Pro Member

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm
MMT Elite Member

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

There is currently a thread on RTF about picking a program.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ng-program

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:16 pm
MMT Elite Member

Rc mann, you at the Tallahassee test this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 am
MMT Pro Member

No. I used to run hunt tests, but just run field trials now. I train in Thomasville all the time and am friends with a lot of the HT people there.

Buck

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:32 am
MMT Elite Member

10 4. I'm down here running master this,weekend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

Good luck!

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:36 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thanks! 3 clean series.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:55 am
MMT 1000 Club

Nice

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 am
MMT Pro Member

Good job! Which Master flight did you run?

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:36 am
MMT Elite Member

B flight, #30

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

One of your judges, Greg McGinn, is a friend. His dog won the Qualifying at the North Florida Retriever Club field trial the previous weekend.
Congratulations again.

Buck

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

He's a fine judge and I would assume run under him as anyone judging a master test. I've never heard anyone complain about his setups (although I'm sure someone has :lol: ). Some judges wouldn't have given me a re-run after the bird boy was wondering around 20 yards directly behind a memory bird (which was obviously distracting my dog) , but he kindly did.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]