It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Recovery supplements? 
MMT Addict

Post Recovery supplements?
The 90 degree heat in South Florida is wearing my dog out on these Tower Shoots. We went through about 20 gallons of water yesterday. Some was for them to drink and some was for them to lay down in a shallow tub to cool off between rounds. Do any of you guys recommend a supplement for recovery after a long, hard, hot day in the field?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Recovery supplements?
You mean like Gatorade for dogs? I would ask a vet before i tried anything but would think propel or Pedialyte would be ok.

gatorheads@comcast.net

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

There are some K9 specific "gatoraide" drinks out there. I have not had any success with them. Best thing to do at a 90 degree tower shoot is bring more dogs.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm
MMT Addict

I saw some stuff on the Internet. Figured it might be a gimmick. I'll ask the vet when I take Finn for his rattlesnake booster.

I wish I had more dogs to take. A few of the guys out there have 2 they rotate. When my old yellow couch potato lab passes my wife wants a Boykin.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Bring bags of ice in that sort of heat! I've put ice in their crates more than once and that wasn't hunting them in 90 degrees.

Dogs can over heat so quickly its scary. I don't know if you remember pheasant opener in south dakota a few years back (100 dogs died of heat stroke and many others permanently damaged):

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/commun ... ogs_69482/

I had two friends that were out there when this happened. Luckily my one friend was hunting with a vet and they were able to save their three dogs (had to dunk them in stock tanks).

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 pm
MMT Addict

Ice in their crates is a good idea. I put water in the crate for him to lay in. Getting a ryobi cordless fan also.
One of the ranches has ponds around the tower. Another ranch has large troughs between each station. The third ranch we bring our own tubs and water. That property manager is going to dig a pond or two at our request.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]