It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Looking for a lab 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Looking for a lab
Looking to purchase a dog that is around a year to to two years old.

I don't have a preference for color, but want something out of solid bloodlines.

I know coon hound bloodlines well, but have very little knowledge of hunting lab lines. I do want to stay from show dogs.

I figure there is someone out there parting with a dog because of new job, divorce, getting out of hunting.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Looking for a lab
Here is a very good place to start.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... arted-Dogs

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm
MMT Member

So are you looking for a started dog?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 am
MMT 1000 Club

Yes, a started dog would be good. I would like something I could hunt this coming season.

Wed May 03, 2017 7:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Get a British Lab. They are smaller, a little less hard charging, but trainablity is unmatched, and they have an amazing off switch when you get home. My dog doesn't whine in the boat, has been as steady as I make him in the blind, and best of all he only weighs 59 pounds. Great little dog to have in a duck blind, and he can handle large ganders with ease. As far as started, the convenience would be very nice... but I will always train my dog from 7 weeks when I pick him up. There's a unbreakable bond there, and I think that translates to the duck blind, as is relates to communication and the dogs willingness to actually do what they tell them. But that's just me!

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 04, 2017 5:50 am
MMT F.E.

Sat May 06, 2017 7:54 pm
MMT Pro Member

I beg to differ there, respectfully. The reason you see more full bodied "American" labs at those events is because a British lab won't stack up with them in speed or conditioning. But I would always rather have one as a hunting dog, since I'm not racing anyone to get my ducks back in the boat. But obviously you have a very, very different opinion on that.

Sat May 06, 2017 9:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

From a disposition standpoint... and that's coming from someone who has two boxers too... and those fuckers are wild!

Sat May 06, 2017 9:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

I agree that the "Gentleman's Gundog", as the British lab breeders like to advertise is just an advertising tool. I hunt all of my field trial labs. They are steady and quiet in the boat and blind, but have the juice to get the cripple that sails 200-300 yards.
I've seen some nice British labs, but also seen some really bad ones. One of my hunting buddies was on a 2 year waiting list for a special British breeding. He paid $5000 for the puppy and ended up washing him out at 2 years old because he wouldn't reliably make a retrieve. He now owns a well bred American lab from a field trial breeding and had a great first season with him last year.
The noise and steadiness is all training. You can harness desire but you can't put it in if it's not already there.
The American field labs have been selectively bred for 100 years for their intelligence, trainability, drive, and personality.

Buck

Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

There was a day when I could list the most dominant stud dogs for walkers, redbones, blue ticks, black and tans, and plott hounds. I have been out of coon hunting so long that I am sure you have to go a ways back in a pedigree to see the hounds I was familiar with.

I remember when everyone was wanting Sacket Junior pups in the walker breed and Michigan Swamp Rooster for English Red Ticks.

With labs, is there specific stud dogs that dominate the higher end retrievers? If so what are they?

Sun May 07, 2017 7:47 pm
MMT Pro Member

Lean Mac was probably the last prepotent sire in field labs. Grady is probably the most popular stud right now. Most feel that the bitch is at least, if not more, important than the stud. You just have to research how certain lines have nicked in past breedings. Even then it's a crap shoot. You are just increasing the odds of ending up with a nice pup.
Probably the most sure way is to look at started dogs, like you are doing. I've had some friends that have found some extremely nice hunting/hunt test dogs by looking at field trial washouts. The breedings are usually very good as is the early training. At lot get washed out because it doesn't look like they are going to be competitive at the National level.

Buck

Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

Make sure the parents (or better the dog itself) have all the health clearances (EIC, OFA hips& Elbows, CNM, etc.).

I also want just about every ancestor on their 5 generation pedigree to have some title (hunt or field). Remember you're just buying a probability and that tips the odds in your favor.

Be prepared to spend some money. People balk at a $1,200 dog, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of the dog, the cost of hunting trips etc...

Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 am
MMT Pro Member

My friends that have bought nice FT washouts with good basic training spent around $4000. Most, by that point, usually have about $10,000 invested for pro training.

Buck

Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 am
MMT Pro Member

Where are you located?

Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am
MMT Member

If i was gonna buy a started lab i would look up some of the pro trainers in your area and see what they have for field trial or hunt test wash outs. They are going to have good breeding. Alot of them dont have what it takes to play the trial game but would make someone a damn fine gundog.

Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I am in NW Arkansas

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:59 pm
MMT Addict

Talk to Scott at Southern Breeze. He has some fine hunting dogs with a shit ton of trial and test titles. I know he picked up a nice dog that was too much for the original owners to handle (They just wanted a pet). Scott has the dog in the rotation and will be selling it as a started dog in a couple months.
http://www.southernbreezegundogs.com/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:34 pm
MMT Addict

I know he is running dogs at the Master Nationals in Texas this fall and NFTC in Georgia this fall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]