It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Looking for new pup 
MMT Pro Member

Post Looking for new pup
I'm in the market for a new pup after losing my black lab female last year. I have been doing a lot of research on boykins. I am leaning towards them because I want something small that I can keep with me in my camper while I'm on the road. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I am looking for some feedback as to how they handle cold water, their temperament, and how trainable they are compared to a lab. Thanks for any feedback.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Looking for new pup
Check out american water spainels, they were breed for duck hunting. I got mine from endless limit water spainels in Louisville ky. Stand up guys whom I spent many a hour talking to on the phone.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 am
MMT 1000 Club

Similar dogs. Both will handle the cold equally, and be really good hunting dogs. Neither as good in the cold as a big lab or chessie.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm
MMT F.E.

I've trained with and around quite a few boykins with my buddy who runs a kennel. I never saw a Boykin that impressed me. I've seen plenty of 45lb labs that are much more trainable and sill small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm
MMT Pro Member

I had a boykin for 14 years or so.........solid retriever............NOT a lab.........meaning she was slower and not as flashy with her water entrance............just remember ...........you do not TRAIN a boykin.........you EDUCATE a boykin.........

lay your hand on them in anger ONE time........and likely you will never be forgiven............

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Get a small lab and be done!
I love my lab, and will be breeding her this next heat cycle.
Tried to breed her on the last one, and the stud had some serious issues and it just didn't work out.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:42 am
MMT Pro Member

If you decide to get a lab, I think there may be a couple that aren't spoken for.

Breeding confirmed via ultrasound:
3x GRHRCH Docheno's Conecuh River Man MH QA2 NDL x HRCH (one Grand Pass) Conecuh River's Lovable Lou MH
http://huntinglabpedigree.com/puppy.asp?id=16634
Link contains all info on genetic and health clearances as well as the dog's accomplishments.
Currently accepting deposits with competitive homes getting preference.
Call Chase at (334)429-3269 for more info.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm
MMT Member

I have my first boykin, around 9 months old now, so I do not have much experience with them. This is also the first retriever of mine that I have trained. She had three started passes right at 7 months (failed her first one because I entered her before she was force fetched). I have been more than pleased to say the least. I made sure I did plenty of research on backgrounds and got one from very good backgrounds (I definitely paid the price for her). I chose a boykin for the size mainly. She does seem to get quite a bit colder much easier. I live in Kentucky and she has hunted once this year with no problem. But I am more than pleased with going this direction and will probably continue down the boykin line.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:40 pm
MMT Addict

I would stick with a small lab. Plenty of high quality breedings producing 50 pound labs.

Mine unfortunately is a 93 pound 2 year old, that the vet said was underweight. However I knew he would be @80lbs from the get go. It was not a stellar breeding with only grandparents being MH, but my wife saw them and had to have one. He has turned out to be a bird retrieving machine. I might even run him in hunt tests. Also going to start guiding at a plantation and use him as a flush/retrieve dog. In the past I only used a lab for ducks and dove. In my old age I have found them to be the "do all" retriever. Ducks, pigeon, dove, snipe drive, partridge drive, quail flush/retrieve, pheasant tower and drive shoots.

I really wanted a Boykin but several pro trainers talked me out of it. They mentioned how Boykins are super sensitive, some are not good with small children, have a tendency to react quickly with a bite, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]