It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lab gsp mix/hybrid 
MMT F.E.

Post Lab gsp mix/hybrid
Anyone got any time with a lab gsp mix/hybrid? I’ve been doing some research after a pup kinda fell into my lap to say but am looking for anyone that has real world experience. Both parents are fully blooded akc registered with great hunt drive. Dad is the gsp and mom is the lab. the pups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Lab gsp mix/hybrid
Are you asking because you want a gun dog, or a family dog? As a pet, sure. As a gun dog, I wouldn't waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 am
MMT 1000 Club

I disagree. The GSPs I've been around were excellent hunters, gun dogs (except for my aunt's, gunshy), had plenty of drive, and listened well. Picked up plenty of doves over them. Just cold natured lol. Labs, they can be hit or miss, but we know what that breed is good at, so no question there. I'd say just like with any other dog, training correctly will make the difference. Make sure it got the lab genetics for its feet. My aunt's gsp does not swim very efficiently compared to a lab lol

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am
MMT Addict

http://wesslpointer.com/

Lab x GSP is a weisslpointer.

Look neat, but I'll stick with a pure lab.

Quail hunting for my purposes the English Cocker is the ideal flusher in the thick palmettos. I like the Pointer to be a small framed English Pointer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 pm
MMT F.E.

Are you asking because you want a gun dog, or a family dog? As a pet, sure. As a gun dog, I wouldn't waste my time.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Lab gsp mix/hybrid
I’m asking for both pet and hunt.

http://www.hybridretrievers.com

Has anyone been around one to speak of? I know GSPs can be dynamic hunters and great duck dogs but they don’t take the cold well, at least that’s what the experts say. I originally wanted a gsp but decided against it due to the cold. I was searching some retriever pages and ran across a local guy with an accidental litter. We talked and I’m getting one basically for shot fees. Like i said both parents are great hunters so that natural drive should (I hope) will be there. I can’t go 2 for 2 with dogs and no drive. Last pup I got didn’t want anything to do with it. I know there is a chance she won’t have it but so goes life. Other than the drive all I’m hoping for is these dogs get the undercoat of the mom lab and can deal with colder weather. Thanks for the opinions but does anyone have real experience with them not just forming opinions with no real knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Lab gsp mix/hybrid
So you had a dud of a dog last time, so instead of seeking out a proven bloodline to increase your odds dramatically, you decide to take a crapshoot and hope that two dogs with completely conflicting mentalities and hunting styles bred together will make a good gun dog?

As a guy who currently has both a great GSP and a great Lab, I would never want to have a mix of the two of them. You would be more likely to get a dog that can't do either task well rather than one that does either task worth a crap.

Neighbor of mine had a GSP/lab mix. It was awful. It was exactly what you would expect.

Selective breeding is a magical thing. You can choose over generations to take the undesired traits out, and magnify the good. The minute you cross breed, you lose all that. Labs have been bred for waterfowl for generations. They take the discipline well, the training programs are made for them, and they mentally and physically handle the work better. GSPs are built to be on the verge of out of control while hunting, and never sit still. They have an inherently more independent personality because of the decision making they need to make quartering a field 200 yards out front.

Why do you think if you cross these two, magically only the good will come from it?

I can guarantee you'll be disappointed, but hey have fun with a second screw up. For ~900$ and some time training down the road you can have the duck dog of your dreams. But hey, free and sub par sounds better.

That "kennel" is a scam, but hey a sucker is born every minute.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:25 pm
MMT F.E.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 pm
MMT Addict

I agree with Bluesky.

Get a well bred lab.

My labs pedigree is great on the males side and decent on the female side. He turned out to be a really good dog. He is just a giant at 2 years old (tall, long, and thin at 94 pounds). He looks like a miniature horse. I use him for everything. Currently he works beside an English Pointer as a flushing dog, picks up pheasant and pigeons at tower shoots, and also retreives snipe and duck. The only thing he has not done is a dove shoot. The dog is very obedient, delivers to hand, and works off a whistle and handling.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am
MMT Pro Member

I love the idea that you're talkin about if you need a multi-talented dog I've talked about the same idea for years. I have two Labs chocolate and black ones 2 1/2 and 8 months I love the way they work their very good dogs. I trusted the guy that I got them from he would not steer me wrong. The only thing that bothers me about what you're talking about is the amount of money your paying that would bother me. Small pay small risk that's the way I look at it I hope I could be of some help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 am
MMT Addict

Jess does have 2 extremely well bred labs that came out of Georgia. Their pedigrees at loaded down with Master hunters and Master National passes. His 2.5 year old is a machine plain and simple. His 8 month old looks like a veteran as well. Stick with a lab from a selectively bred and pedigreed litter and save yourself some headaches. They can be found from $1000 to $5000.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]