It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dead ducks for off season training 
MMT Pro Member

Post Dead ducks for off season training
Where do you get your dead ducks for training? I saved a bunch of dogs last year as well as all of my wings and am running out now. Just short of raising a bunch of ducks, what do yall do for training purposes?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Dead ducks for off season training
I just save a bunch during the season for the dogs bro. Not sure how you would acquire them other than that during off season

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
MMT Pro Member

Occasionally when I go on vacation I will take my dog to the trainer. He's actually only about $20 more for a week then the local Kennels. At the end of the week usually gives me one of the dead Ducks to take home.

If you have a dog trainer somewhere local maybe he would sell you some. They usually have some dead and some alive.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 pm
MMT F.E.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm
MMT Member

local HRC clubs normally give away the not so good ducks at the end of a hunt test on sunday also if you are a member of a club running a hunt test they will save some good ducks for the members that work the test to take home. also if you have a big field trial trainer near you and you volunteer to shoot fliers at a trail or for them on a training day they may give you some ducks if you ask nicely, also the field trial trainers that shoot lots of fliers have a flight pen and you maybe able to buy ducks from them (if your in the south talk before they go north to train and vice versa for the northern guys). the local guy near me will have 30-40 ducks before he goes north he doesnt want to feed all summer so i will get 10-15 every june.

tip for making ducks last as long as you can during the summer, when you get home is to put them on your outside ac unit to dry them out fast and keeps the ants and flies off of them and throw them in the freezer when they are dry.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]