It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Crawfish Cooker Used for the Garden 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Crawfish Cooker Used for the Garden
I posted earlier about how well the garden has done in NW Arkansas with all the rain this year. We are now producing at a rate that is hard to keep up with. We are putting lots in the freezer and giving away vegetables to friends, family, church members, and folks we do not even know. I unloaded a couple bushels of squash at the local gas station.

Earlier in the spring I purchased a new crawfish cooking pot and basket. I was thinking on the best way to freeze large quantities of our purple snap beans, and decided to try out the large crawfish pot for blanching.

I set up operation out in the work shop to keep the mess and water out of the house.

I put enough water in the pot to cover the beans and got it to a rolling boil. I used the strainer basket to wash the beans in cold water. Once clean, I dipped the basket into the pot, and let them blanch in hard boiling water for about three minutes. The handle on the strainer made it easy to take them directly from the boiling pot and dip into a large plastic bucket with ice water.

In a matter of minutes my wife and daughter were able to put three gallons worth of snap beans in the chest freezer.

I am going to try the same method with field peas and purple hulls, but will have to find something with smaller holes because they would pour out of the holes on my crawfish cooker strainer. I think we can also use the same method for squash and zucchini.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Crawfish Cooker Used for the Garden
Ranger, we do the same to put onions away. We end up with so much we have to cool down and freeze them. We tried to freeze them fresh and they made everything in the freezer smell and taste like onions.

Another bonus is they cook down and take up half the feezer space!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]