It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 hey Russ 
MMT 1000 Club

Post hey Russ
Russ, I saw u post about how u needed a modded motor to plane your hull with a big load. what kind of hull are you running?
i was wondering, cause i run a old 20x44 skiff, and it is by no means fast, but it will carry a load of fish/crawfish or gear pretty good. maybe your boat just needs some fine tuning?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: hey Russ
It's a 1748 (and it's a true 17ft boat) and it did fine with 3 and a hunting load with a 27hp kawa that had headwork and a gutted exhaust. It does exactly what it should being a 1748. I've got far more power than that now. The big load I'm talking about is far more than 3. I don't actually NEED the power I have, as it's not the only boat available when we have large crowds, but I decided a few years ago I was going to have the ability to tote whatever load I wanted to without having to count on another boat making the trip, so I decided to run a time bomb. It'll be due for a complete teardown after this season to check everything inside, but other than starter issues, I havent had a problem. Occasionally I've thought about maybe retooling and getting a 1754, but that only lasts until duck season rolls around and I squeeze through the trees and stumps and know a 54 would limit some of that. Around June I start thinking about it again lol.

I'm fine running all the mods because if it ever breaks, I can just pull out the wrenches and deal with it myself, other than needing to order whatever parts that aren't reusable. Im around 100hrs since the starter siezed and created some unnecessary openings in the block, but no engine issues since. I don't want a longer boat because I don't need the space (can hunt 4 comfortably), and I won't go wider because of the reason mentioned above. I have the power to haul whatever I want to with the boat it's on, and just enough know-how to fix it myself if it breaks (but not always the time lol).

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

cool, sounds like you got a good plan!!
I've ridden in some boats with really strong motors, it sure is nice to have the extra power when u need it.

I had a 1848 boat and I really liked it, I just went back to my skiff cause I felt it was more my style. like everybody says, there's no perfect boat I guess.

1748 is a probly the sportscar of the mudmotor world. fast and easy to hide.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

My father has a 1652 with pods, and up until 2 months ago, a mostly stock engine (has a 36mm mikuni flat I was experimenting with). Now he's got .20 decked heads. It's night and day a different motor with those heads, though I'll admit the heads that were on it had over 800 hours (probably just shy of 900), and were sitting around 40% leakdown. Just that carb made a huge difference, but now the combo of that carb and the heads it'll get squirrelly in turns. His boat is heavy, but it's exactly what he wants, even though it doesn't run nearly as well shallow as mine did with the 27, and not even close to what mine does now.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I used to ride a lot of tight trails i'd chop up and wash out when I had time. when we would go ride on the weekends, I would see that the guys in the shorter hulls would have trouble in the tight, technical stuff with hard bottoms, but once it opened or the bottom softened up they'd pass me like a rocket. lol
there was a guy on here years ago from Mich or Winconsin, I forget, but he was a real good mech and had a light hull and a pd, a beast of a motor, back when 30 was rolling, that thing ran mid 30's loaded down with big guys like me no problem. it was a hoot.
hell, I went fishin a couple months ago with a buddy and was driving his gatortail. he told me to keep it under 5k, and I did for 45 min to get where we were going. I glanced at my phone and we were running crazy fast. that motor gave up awhile back turning 7k running in the 40's. lol hell, it blew up a lot, but who cares if that's what u like.
i put a lot of hours on mine, so i just keep it stock. if i had the scratch i'd have 2 motors, 1 mild and 1 wild. lol i got a airboat and a 90 merc, so i have options when my mm is not the perfect fit.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I don't spin mine past 4600. No need. I built for the load. Speed is a byproduct, and it'll do 35 with the current prop at 4550 before I start porpoising solo. I could more mph if I propped for it, but I'm happy under 30 and having the power to get on plane in a boat length with very little water.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm
MMT Elite Member

Everybody wants to go fast... But can ya still mud bro? I like a heads/cam/carb motor for the all around use, But they are not for everyone..

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]