It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New hit to the "feels" 
MMT 1000 Club

Post New hit to the "feels"
I'm currently deployed...and it's the first long one I've had since having a kid. I'm not lying when I say things are much different. He's at that age too that he has time appreciation and sees when I'll be returning and knows his dad isn't going to be home for a long long time.
Things that sting: missed his first t ball game, missed him getting his first tractor ride, missed his first soccer game...the list will continue to grow.
I get the odd FaceTime chat with him and my wife, but dang....im lucky I've been so busy that I tend only to think about it when I go to ground. Which has a few times been eating at my sleep.
Im positive some of y'all have experienced this - any ideas on ways to maximize on what to say to a 5yr old about behaving while I'm away?
He's started to act out a bit because I've left.
I've told him the usual: take care of mom, take care of the dog, be good, miss you etc...sent letters with little gifts...

I think he's depressed that his best buddy is gone. Looking for ideas.
Some that will help him....and me.

B.

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: New hit to the
First off, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!! I am retired Navy and spent a lot of time away as well so yes I know what you are going through. You are doing the right thing. Continue to reinforce that Daddy is away at work and WILL come back home to him! Continue to reinforce your love for him and his momma. Maybe explain to him that while you are away he is the man of the house to look out after Momma, Even at that age they like responsibility. More so coming from you His mentor. Let him know your doing a very important job for him and momma. And you hang in there as he starts understanding it will get better for you, Lucky to have facetime. In my day there was none. My youngest Daughter was 5+ months old before I ever saw her she was born right after I deployed to Gulf War. I promise the young lad will grow up to be very proud of his daddy as all Americans are!!! You've got the watch brother!!!

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 am
MMT 1000 Club

Buzz,

I just wanted to let you know that you I appreciate what you're doing so much (in terms of service but also as a dad who cares).

I wish I had some profound advice, but I think you just really being cognizant and truly caring has to help.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: New hit to the "feels"
I feel ya dude. I missed my sons first birthday, first steps, etc when I was in the Corps. It sucks.

I have nothing in regards to advice because I got out before either of my sons were that old, but I do know my dad and Mom would visit my wife and kids quite frequently and I think that helped my boys out. He took them fishing and out on the water and it helped. I don't think there is a great solution, but FaceTime and calling is about as good as it gets. I was lucky enough to at least get to call in at a birthday party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:01 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks so much for this^^^^ I appreciate the feedback.

I am trying to get through to him the importance of behaving and being the man of the house...kinda hard to do through a computer screen.... I'll keep at it. I'm hoping him having a busy summer will alleviate the sudden attitude changes...
Again, thanks for the kind words, gents.

Happy to be here doing what I'm doing.

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:49 am
MMT 1000 Club

All though I wasn't deployed while my boys were that age, I spent a lot of time living out of a suitcase on the road when my sons were growing up. Missed a lot of events during their child hood which I regret. Many times I would come home to "Do you know what your son did or said?" My response was it's hard to be the disciplinarian when I am not here, and I am not going to do it after the fact. I did explain to both of my boys as they got a little older there are a few rules to follow and here is what I told them. "Don't bring the cops to my door, don't get a girl knocked up, and most important, don't disrespect your mother!" All turned out fine in the end. Growing up my parents would ship me off to family that had farms during the summer. Hard work and a little cash kept me out of trouble from the age of 8 to 15. :)

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:03 am
MMT 1000 Club

B. MacDonald

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]