It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 1999 25 Kohler go devil fuel issues? 
MMT Member

Post 1999 25 Kohler go devil fuel issues?
We've had this motor since new. Normal routine maintenance until this year. Replaced the fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb. Had the carb cleaned at a local lawn mower shop. Using good ethanol free fuel. Ran good after the carb was cleaned. It will start and die for about a second. It will do that over and over. It's just a big lawnmower engine... scratching my head. Maybe something to do with the fuel pickup in the tank? Welcome to suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: 1999 25 Kohler go devil fuel issues?
It's possible that problem is ignition related. The Koehler ignition box uses 2 different 12v power feeds. 1 of them is for low timing when engine is in start mode, the other gives more ignition timing when switch was in the run position. There is a diode hiding in the wiring harness that lets these 2 different ignition inputs work together alone with the fuel shut off valve. You might have fire when in start position but not when in run position. It's worth a look

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:05 am
MMT Member

Very possible. We took the plastic off the front and took a good look at the wiring. Couldn't find any bare wires or pinched wires. After we put everything back together it started and ran flawlessly. That was saturday. I started it today and it ran good. Idle to half throttle, let it idle, ran it out of fuel and then primed it back up again, perfect. Let it sit about a half hour and it was difficult to start but, it did start and ran good. It's got to be something electrical. Gonna take it for a short run tomorrow. I'll let ya know...thanks for the reply.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Something else that might help you out is running a slightly smaller gauge fuel line, which will allow a little bit more suction. A few guys I know had this issue with some long tail builds and that simple change made a big difference for them

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 am
MMT Member

Ran it to the blind today to finish up the dog ramp and entry door. Started it in the shed, ran fine. Started it at the lake, ran fine. Started it at the blind to head to the ramp, ran fine. Wow, just makes me nervous. Hopefully it doesn't do it again. Feel like i'm playing russian roulette.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 pm
MMT Pro Member

Ground wires have got me in the past with starting. Not tightened down.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]