It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 kohler ch1000 help with rpm 
MMT Member

Post kohler ch1000 help with rpm
I have a new kohler ch1000, 37hp. I have a hot foot setup on a grizzly 1754. I am only getting 3600 rpm out of water, 3100 in water. How can I get the rpm up to around 4100-4400? Would I have to change spring on Gov? The throttle cable at wot shows about 1/8 of an inch away from stop on engine.

thanks

Slim

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:00 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: kohler ch1000 help with rpm
Does anyone have any advice on increasing rpm for this engine. New to the site and I know you guys are very talented on increasing performance to engines. Thanks

slim

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:47 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Nobody uses those, but all you need to is turn the governor up. The service manuals used to be available for free on kohler's website. Download it. Adjust the gov.

There's a screw somewhere in the carb linkage that will need to be adjusted. If you've already maxed out your adjustment, you may have to source a stronger spring. Or you can ziptie a couple coils together.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:05 am
MMT Member

Thank you CB, reading the manual, it says that " do not adjust the gov shaft. The next sentence says," if taken off , this is how you adjust it. But in the explanation, it talks about adjusting to the max turn. So I am a little confused on what to do. I assume that the gov. shaft is maxed out if set up the way they tell you how to adjust if taken off. My next thought is a heavier spring. Is there a chart or some way to figure out a little heavier spring that would be the next size?

Also, you must be talking about supplying the carb with more fuel in turning up the carb linkage?? Is that correct?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 pm
MMT F.E.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 pm
MMT Member

Ok, so here are some pics. The spring with the oil filter in it goes to the gov. if i give it full throttle, and push on the gov, i can get around 4500 rpm. that spring is only letting it get to around 4000 and then falls off to around 3800 out of water.

any help would be appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:58 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Don't mess with the shaft. The adjustment is in the linkage.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

There should be an adjustment screw attached to the lever you are pushing on to get it up to 4500. If you've maxed it out already, then you will need to source a stronger spring or zip tie a few coils together.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:27 pm
MMT Member

If you look at the middle picc, the bracket will be maxed out to the stop. It is at idle in the pic. So what spring are you talking about that needs to be stronger?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

When you squeeze the throttle, which spring stretches and fights against the throttle and is attached to the gov? The red one? If so, zip tie half of that spring. Go easy on the throttle to check it the first squeeze so you dont over rev, then adjust how many coils you have less or more based on how many rpms itll turn. You're taking away some of the ability for the gov to fight you when doing this, but too many spring coils and you'll over rev the engine when in neutral or if it kicks out of the water.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:28 pm
MMT Member

thank you russ. and to the others

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:55 pm
MMT Member

Russ, In this pic, both the gray spring and red spring are attached at the left to the bracket arm that has the rod going to the gov. as the throttle is advanced, the springs pull the arm forward and the top of the bracket also goes forward pushing the rod to change the govn position. In the other pic with the oil filter showing, there is a small spring that also is attached to the governor for an opposite direction balance. In the manual, the red spring is named the governor spring and the gray spring is the governor idle spring. this setup is on a river run surface drive. So the idle has to be pretty exact as the clutch will engage if over 1400 rpm. Since both gray and red are attached to the same bracket, I am wondering if just the red or both springs need to be adjusted.

thanks

slim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

You don’t want to mess with the governed idle. Just the red one.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:40 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Also, it looks like there is a ton of adjustment left in the screw. Thats what you should be trying first before messing with the spring.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 pm
MMT Member

Thank you CB. I did notice the red spring is loose as to not, (what I perceive) affect pulling the bracket in idle position. So there might be a little play in tightening the screw that affects that spring.
Would I be correct in thinking that?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:39 am
MMT Super Elite Member

The spring won’t have tension on it when the engine isn’t running and may not tighten up until it’s revved up a bit.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am
MMT Pro Member

I know this post is a few months old, but to the OP, you may not want to hear this, but DO NOT TRY TO MOD THAT MOTOR. I had one years ago, ran fine on a 1750 Gator Trax, then I got the itch and wanted more power. It was all downhill from ther, the motor was never right again. The Mikuni carb wasn't too bad, but then I started messing with heads and valves and Pistons.. There's not a huge following for parts for those, so I went to the Midwest Super Cub bunch, who make race parts for law mowers. That world didn't translate well to the mud motor world. I ended up spending a bundle to get the whole motor back to stock. You can search some of my old posts.

Just saying, that's a stout motor, just enjoy it and keep it reliable. Just my opinion.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:55 pm
MMT Member

Not trying to hijack this thread but I am new and not allowed to PM. Not sure if I can start a new thread but this is in line with the current post. UGH!!! I have a 2009 Kohler CH1000 40 hp on a mud buddy and am putting it back together after trying to replace the oil pan filter. I know this motor was not used much in the industry so it's hard to find information about it. I wanted to do some upgrades but it appears that may be ill advised as aftermarket parts are not really available and others are advising against it. The problem is the cam shaft came out when I pulled the oil pan and then the lifters and rods fell out. I have one bent rod and have ordered new rods, some gaskets etc. I'm glad this happened otherwise I would not have seen the bent rod.

I'm a little over my head here but have some experience working on stuff. I figured out the camshaft mark with the crank to get the timing right but have a question on the governor sprocket. It is a centrifugal force setup. My question is does this need to be lined up to a certain tooth on the camshaft? Only the camshaft came out when I pulled the pan and i have not touched the crank or the governor, but did rotate the crank to align the camshaft when I re-installed it. The motor ran pretty good before this crisis, I had waited until after the season to try and fix the oil pan gasket tod get it to stop leaking.

Any other advice on getting this back together or on this motor would be appreciated. I've had it for 2 seasons and like it but I'm still learning mud motors as I ran a 25 hp Evinrude for the last decade.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 pm
MMT Member

Adding some pics. My parts arrived today and I hope to get this back together tomorrow or this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]