It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 HDR 40 Clutch issue Help 
MMT Member

Post HDR 40 Clutch issue Help
Good afternoon everybody. First post, and hoping that this is in the correct section. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Have a 2018 Prodigy 1854 w/ Mud Buddy HDR40 sitting around 26 hours. Have had zero issues since purchasing, however today...of all days...when I got a blind in the draw, my clutch decides to start malfunctioning.

Was putting along at idle in the no wake zone for a 1/2 mile or so. I, went to open it up once I passed, and it felt like my engine got kicked up and revved high. Lowered RPM back to idle and the clutch grabbed again. Repeated this about three times and the clutch finally just went and would not engage at all. Sat there for about 30 mins attempting to diagnose with flashlights. Removed the protective cover and started moving wires and checking relays. Not sure how, but I was able to get it engaging at idle and head back to the ramp. The end to what looked to be a promising day...3even if a bit warm.

Got the boat home and diagnosed for about 2 hours and unable to get the clutch to engage at all. Wondering if any of you MB guys have experienced this. The only change in my prep routine last night was hooking up a 2 bank (20 Amp) on board charger. I had tested the battery and it was a little low. Any idea of whether or not this may be the cause. Again, many thanks fellas.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:46 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: HDR 40 Clutch issue Help
Take the top section of belt cover off and check to make sure there is oil in the transmission may have a bad seal causing oil to leak and burnt it up

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 pm
MMT F.E.

Dude you need to just carry extra wire. It’s a 12V clutch. Just clip it and run it straight to your battery. It’s called “go devil mode”. You wasted a full day of hunting because you didn’t clip a wire...:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm
MMT Member

Did you end up finding out what was wrong with your clutch?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 pm
MMT Member

Thanks everyone, and apologies it took me this long to update you guys on what happened. After tracing wires, removing the clutch housing, and running a volt meter on the fuses/wires I discovered the issue. Behind the starter there are 2x 20 AMP marine circuit breakers. Wiring diagram showed one of them as supplying the power for the FNR circuit. Switched the meter to ohms and it skyrocketed to 22 ohms (should be no more than 5). Took a closer look and the breaker had a crack running along the side of it, I think this explained why when I was tapping around it would sometimes engage. Replaced the circuit breaker and boom, up and running. Thanks on the “hot wire” recommendation, will keep an alligator set on board as well as a couple of these circuit breakers....$11 part at West Marine. If you’re having this issue, recommend checking these breakers first..

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

glad you found your problem and a fix!!! after some trial and error, you will find yourself with several various parts/wires/connections that you will keep in your boat in ziplock bags. lol
best of luck to you!

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]