It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 crawfishing with pillow traps 
MMT Pro Member

Post crawfishing with pillow traps
Got about 25 of the 4 foot pillow traps. I always used the smaller pyramid traps in shallow water, but never tried the pillow traps. I want to put them in about 2-4 feet of water. Do I just hang em from a tree with a rope? Should they stand straight up or can they lay flat?

Whats the best way to keep bait the longest in these traps? Someone told me to freeze it and just toss it in the bottom.

I'm sure someone on here has got the technique down for this type of trap, just wanted to hear some options.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: crawfishing with pillow traps
Use tarred twine to tie them to the tree. Set the trap so it rests at a 45. I take my bait out, let it thaw a bit, cut it with a band saw and refreeze it until I need it. As far as staying longer in the trap, I dont believe it makes a difference. It will thaw quickly in the water. Some fish last longer than other but I bait with what the crawfish want thats something you gotta play with. I bait mainly with pogie or shad cause thats what i can get. As it warms up I'll switch to artificial. You can try putting a piece of artificial in there with your cut bait. That's what I'm doing in the ponds right now but It's warmer than the water in the basin. If you want to hold em for a couple days throw in whole shucker corn.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:05 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: crawfishing with pillow traps
When using the pillow traps just use nylon string to tie to a tree. The main thing about setting your traps is first make sure it's sitting on bottom not hung up on a log or stump. Next how is the water where your at? If you have muddy running water that's full of oxygen lay the trap down as much as possible this will give the crawfish more room to spread out in the trap. If the water is clear and low on oxygen make sure and leave the traps sticking out the water some so they can climb to the top to get air, if not they will die........As far as bait goes use fish 'whatever kind is available" and a small peice of artificial only if you have good oxygenated water. If the water is un oxygenated the crawfish tend not to eat the artificial and will actually suffocate them.....Also ifn there are otters, coons, or minks in the area you may want to weave a long nail or welding rod in the opening of your trap or they will open it and take all your catch.......

This has been deepwater crawfishing 101! LOL

T-al

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]