It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Prop differences 
MMT Member

Post Prop differences
First post since the new boat. Recently bought a 40hp Timberking and 18/54 boat from Mudbuddy. Most all my running is around the Nisqually wildlife refuge which has a lot of tidal flats. It has a big blade and raptor II for props. The big blade seems to work better in the mud but sucks in reverse. They both seem to go about the same speed with the raptor having some vibration until it gets above 3000rpm then it smooths out. How do you know if the prop is too much for the engine? I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to trimming; start out with it tilted down then trim it up as it gets on plane is all I can tell from watching videos. Have heard you want a certain wide open throttle rpm but mine varies alot based on how much prop is in the water. Dig it down and it's a little over 4000rpm and can be trimmed up until it is making quite a spray behind it while bouncing in and out of rev limiter at 4800rpm. The boat is incredible when it comes to getting into spots early and staying late. Hope these things don't catch on up here, it is quite a small club since the Trump administration opened up the refuge last year.

thanks in advance, cd

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Prop differences
Hey - sounds like your prop is working about right based on those rpms...

FTI - some refuges have a 9" max prop rule or HP max rules to comply with - hopefully
yours does not...

Just keep running it and it will all come together on how to get the most out of her...

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:24 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Prop differences
Only restriction now is boat access only and you may not set foot on the grounds. Also have a 10mph speed limit. I’m screwed if a power restriction gets implemented and have no idea what a 9” prop limit would do. The game warden liked my rig and said it’s the first he’s seen other than the fella running a homemade long tail. The jet sleds do alright until the cooling system gets packed with mud then overheat.

Thanks for the input Gigafowl

Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]