It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Which boat Jon boat or wood skiff 
MMT Member

Post Which boat Jon boat or wood skiff
I have backwater gx690 on order. I have 2 older boats to choose from. A wooden 1644 skiff or a 1636 aluminum boat.
Both need a little work. Used in soft muddy marsh. No trees or rocks to be concerned. Which would you choose and why? First post and gonna be first mud motor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Which boat Jon boat or wood skiff
Yes. The answer is yes.

You'd likely get better performance out of the aluminum boat given it's narrower hull and possibly being a lighter boat. If they're similar in weight, and using the same motor, I think the wooden boat being bigger, though it may be slower empty, will lose less speed when carrying the same load as the aluminum boat...maybe. I know that I can push my 1848 faster empty than I can the 2448, but the 2448 takes more to bog down.

I'd use whichever one is easier to make useable by the time the motor arrives. Then, when I wasn't playing in that one I'd work on the other, and when it's ready try it as well. If you do that, let us know what you find.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Use the aluminum. Not enough difference between the 2 in base size for the 44 to be that much better, but the aluminum carries that width farther forward. Itll do better with a small longtail, and likely be a bit lighter than that wooden boat (dunno about the weight for sure, though).

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Btw, that is gonna be a lot of motor for a boat that narrow. I've had that same engine on a 1546 and a 1442. Turning is gonna be entertaining for anyone not in the boat with you, and squirrelly with this being your first longtail. Dont get in a hurry to get places, and learn how to run it safely. Be careful and wear your kill switch and life jacket. And dont go in big water, ever, with that thing.

Enjoy it, itll be a good rig. Just know it has some limitations and you'll have a lot of fun.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for responses. I’m leaning towards the wood because I think it would be safer. Little wider and taller sides. Anyone ever had a mm on a wooden skiff? Thanks fellas.

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:49 am
MMT Member

Decided on wooden skiff. Found a little rot. Gonna repair hopefully next week. Boat is heavier than I remember easily 350 lbs I guess. Any ideas on speed? How should she handle? Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:51 pm
MMT Member

Making progress. Fixed rot, working on painting. Motor is ready to install next. Any guesses on top speed. Anyone with mud motor on wooden skiff? Thanks

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm
MMT Pro Member

This is the boat I built. Fiberglass over wood. I run a 13 longtail that I built as well. Not a speed demon by any means but it’ll goes in the shallow dang good. The frogs, fish ducks and deer are all feeling it’s effects this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:34 pm
MMT Member

Almost ready for the water. How it is now I can not rotate prop end all the way around into the boat. I can raise it slightly with the mount(it might not be enough to get over sides). I was concerned raising it up would affect strength and or performance. Is that true? Also what are reasons for wanting to swing motor all the way around. Thanks.

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

So you dont have a 6 ft bumper attractant sticking out behind your boat. Get a flag for it.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:32 pm
MMT Pro Member

Get a flag for it. If you shim it up to be able to swing into the boat, it will affect performance by changing where the prop is running. If you only needed like an inch, or something small to clear the corner of the boat it might be worth it. A small change like that could probably be corrected with messing with the cavitation plate. If it’s running really good now I’d leave it alone.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]