It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Duck season 2021. 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Duck season 2021.
Well lady and gentlemen it's that time of year again.

Its Duck shooting season in a month. I've got plenty to do yet but we scrubbed up some local blinds today and deleted a number of cans. One of my buddies is feeding 5 ton of grain from last month till the seasons concludes, 3 months later. It is loaded with ducks, like 7-800 birds.

I shoot public because I have a crap shack in the swamp so I like the challenge and the history. Tomorrow we go I and claim our spots for opening day and after that make a plan for builds or fix ups needed.
In the mean time the Red stags have started roaring so I'm planning a hunt of 2 for one. I don't much hunt for heads but I do enjoy getting out.

My daughter and I also just got back from a school camp in Deep Cove in Doubtful Sound (definitely google that) it is Alaska on steroids remote and untouched.
My parents managed the school hostel when I was a teenager so it was a bit of a home like experience, the place gets into your blood.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:24 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Duck season 2021.
Nice....

Was looking at pics of Southland on Goggle Maps - do you hunt these
or do they hunt you - LOL

Truely beautiful little piece of nature you have there !

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:24 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Post more pictures.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:17 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:43 am
MMT Elite Member

Sounds a lot like our Coot hunts - Coots smell so bad that a well trained retriever
will return them and then hike up his leg and pee on your shotgun afterward for
making him put in in his mouth...

Not sure why but we even have a special season on the little flying turds...

They really smell like turds and it is hard to wash that smell off your boat and gear...

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:51 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I don’t waste my shotgun shells on coots. We got thousands of them.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 am
MMT 1000 Club

Well 20 years I've been watching a couple of old timers slaying birds out of this one spot at the head of the lagoon.
Decoys just thrown in out, old rubber bellows caller's, but ever year without trying they'd limit before lunch.
I will hand it too them they could shoot.

2 years we've left it untouched as they hadn't marked the claim , this year it my brother and I spot.

I'm away back in the morning (monday) with building materials and a new blinds going up.
The original got destroyed in a wind event a couple of years ago. I'm also debating taking the rifle as there is a stag with feet as wide as a cigarette lighter and long as a cigarette.
He must be a monster.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]