It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Weekly Lesson - So, You Want to go Fast? 
MMT Elite Member

Post Weekly Lesson - So, You Want to go Fast?
I know I grabbed a LOT of people's attention with that title! :lol:

No...it's not about speed. Remember, this is the Christian Forum - and I am doing my best to keep on track with topics related to mud motors...well at least in the subject titles!

As mud motor junkies, we all like to think about "fast" and some of us are quite proud of just how "fast" we are or how "fast" we desire to be. Well, to be "fast" requires giving up or denying ourselves something...like weight in your boat. You may have really wanted that extra storage compartment, but you wanted fast...so you gave it up.

Well, it's not quite that simple in a relationship with God. But, in the Biblical sense of "Fast" or "Fasting," we fast in order to become closer with God. Most people think of fasting, in the religious sense, as going without food or drink. But really, fasting is about denying yourself things of this world so that you may focus more on God. By fasting, you are saying to God, and yourself, that you are serious about your relationship with God. Anything given up in order to focus all our attention on God can be considered a fast. It is more a form of worshipping God wholly in spirit and in truth.

John 4:24
24 For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.

The Bible does not say that you "must" fast. God does not require us to fast, either. But, there are numerous instances of various people (including Jesus) fasting. Fasting, in addition to Prayer, is something beneficial to Christians. It is something portrayed throughout the Bible more like "personal time with God" for which He will reward you. So, it's not something you go around making a big deal about...like you do with your fast mud motor. It is more like something personal you and your wife would cherish. Fasting is simply a way to honor God and show Him your devotion and commitment.

Matthew 6:16-18
16 “And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get. 17 But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. 18 Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

So, you want to go fast? Try it. It's not something you just totally give up on. But, it is something, as a Christian, you are willing to give up and instead, give that time to God. Pray for God's Blessings and you will be rewarded.

Now, here's the challenge....fast from something for 30 days and commit yourself to Prayer. See if it makes a difference in your life. I'll give you a simple fast...yet a really good one. What's your favorite music? Country? Rock? Heavy Metal? All of it? I'm not asking you to refrain from music...try something much easier....like finding your local KLOVE station on the FM dial. Got Sirius/XM radio...try "The Message" channel. Download the KLOVE app or listen to it on the computer. Pick a time frame...three weeks, four weeks...fast from your current music genre, listen to Christian music and offer your prayers to God. See what kind of difference it can make it your life. Or, just turn the radio off. But, the Bible also talks about worshipping God through song...

And the Congregation said.....

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:25 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Weekly Lesson - So, You Want to go Fast?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

Fasting is a big deal for some. But I personally dont get the full point of it. I mean some things you buy or get throughout life brings you closer to Family, Friends and God. And that is what I believe liviing is all about. Family, Friends and God. And not in that particular order. If your family and friends worship God then that will bring you closer also.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks Blue.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:57 am
MMT 1000 Club

Love the title :lol: As a christian fasting is not something i really ever think about day to day. But i am puting it on my prayer list as something to be convicted about. god bless

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 am
MMT Pro Member

When you are really dealing with a situation in your life, fasting is the best way to draw near to our Lord. It's a time to really slow down, focus, mature and grow in your personal relationship with the Father.

Good word brother Blue!!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:13 am
MMT Elite Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]